Red, White, PINK and Blue: The Results are in!

October 28, 2017

To catch up on my story of my red, white, PINK and blue quilt, read yesterday's blog post. Per the instructions shared by Vicki Welsh in her article, Save My Bleeding Quilt, I soaked it in the bathtub with very hot water for 12 hours with 1/2 cup Dawn dish soap. I then placed it in the washing machine without adding any more soap, to rinse it out well and this is the result....

I apologize for the picture quality, but I think you can see the difference clearly enough. 

All in all, I am thrilled with the result! I consider this quilt saved! Yay!

 One note, that I didn't mention yesterday, after trying to get the pink out with the synthrapole, I dried the quilt in the dryer, so if you have a quilt that has had dye bleed and you have washed and dried it, it is worth a try to see if this method removes it.  You have nothing to lose, right? 😄

Here is the link again...Save it to your files!

 photo 2015_sig_zpsfk5a9zt3.png

Red, white, PINK and blue...

October 27, 2017

I should have known better. I should have prewashed or, at the very least, tested the red fabric to see if it would bleed. I did not and now I have a red, white, PINK and blue quilt. *sigh* Yes, I used a color catcher, but it obviously wasn't enough. Now, this quilt isn't a gift for anyone in particular, but I did want the option to gift it to someone if they wanted it. With the color bleed the way it stands now, I don't have that option. In other words, I am not devastated at the color bleed, but it is disappointing. 

As I was studying it this morning, I found it curious to see how some of the whites really picked up the red, but some didn't at all! 

 Some of the colored fabrics weren't affected and others got duller

I rewashed the quilt a couple of times with synthrapole in the washing machine, but I didn't see much improvement. I went to bed last night accepting that it would always have a pink tint to it and it would become a car quilt. However, this morning, while I was taking pictures to show you all the "pretty pink," I recalled an article that I had saved called, Save My Bleeding Quilt by Vicki Welsh. I figure I had nothing to lose, so I am giving it a try! 

It has to soak for at least 12 hours. I will give you an update on how it goes. 😀

Linking again to Vicki's article, in case you missed it. 😊

 photo 2015_sig_zpsfk5a9zt3.png

Quilt Updates

October 26, 2017

My orange peel quilt that I talked about on this post, is now a finished top. It measures at 94" x 94", which will fit nicely on our queen size bed.  I am dreading the basting part of the process...Ugh!

I chose to use a blanket stitch for the applique and the thread I used was 80 weight Quilters Select thread which I loved!! It is so fine and very strong. I'll be using it again! 

The Print and Piece applique paper in the orange peels, make the quilt very stiff at this point. It was a little difficult to wrestle with as I was putting it together.  

Since this photo was taken, I added a 4" white border. I wanted the blocks to float. I still need to figure out what I want to use as a backing and binding. I do love how it turned out and I look forward to cuddling underneath it! 

I finished the red, white and blue quilt I made last May. I am all ready for next 4th of July! 

I began quilting without thinking about what thread was in my bobbin. I got too far along to rip out what I had done and switching to red bobbin thread. Oh, well....For the binding, I used the serpentine stitch, just for fun. I like it and will do that again! 

Anyone else going to be Instagram stalking the peeps that will be at market this weekend? I can't wait to see what fabrics will be coming our way next year! 😀

Until next time, happy sewing!

 photo 2015_sig_zpsfk5a9zt3.png

Fall is here!

October 5, 2017

Fall is not my most favorite season, summer is, but I have to admit, fall is a beautiful season and it has been especially so this year. I just need to get over grieving the loss of summer. 😉

Last fall, I purchased two Primitive Muslin flannel layer cakes to make a fall quilt and sewed them up very simply to make a cuddle quilt for the couch. Now that fall has rolled around again, I knew I had to get it finished so it could be used! It's all wrinkly because it has already been nap tested. It passed. 😴

I wish the back fabric showed the gold metallic sparkle. I have been collecting gold metallic fabric lately. No plan, just kinda love it! Not my norm at all. =) 

To continue the fall theme, I got to make a sample using a new Hoffman fabric line called All A Twitter. It is stunning! The pattern is by New Leaf Stitches.  When it comes back from the quilters, I will take a picture of the whole quilt. I really love it!.😄

I have also been sewing lots and lots of grocery bags using the pattern by Michelle Patterns. Our church participates with Operation Christmas Child and I thought they would be a great gift for the children and they fold/roll up nice and small. They are fun and easy to make. 😊

Thank you for stopping by! 

 photo 2015_sig_zpsfk5a9zt3.png
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...